Friday, October 14, 2011

# 64: Make a Move

6" x 8" oil on canvas

Another study in white with some good moments and some missed moments.
I used blue paper to reflect this time and so the painting is cooler. I also started with an wipe-out and so the under painting was dry and very dark. I found that I missed working into the wet surface of a fresh under painting. It was like starting with a different opening...

Painting is a lot like chess in that you need to be able to plan a couple of moves ahead and be flexible at the same time. There is also an opening a mid game and an end game. The end game I find the most difficult to learn,(this one felt like a stale mate), especially when I have to deal with interruptions and distractions like making appointments or even cooking dinner. I am going to give the subject another go and explore  white on white further tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment