Monday, September 19, 2011

# 45; Crazy Daisies

6"x 6" oil on canvas

I am trying something different this week based  on the DPW weekly challenge. The idea is to predict and limit your brushstrokes. You begin by doing a careful drawing/analysis of the of the shapes, predict the number of brushstrokes you will need and then count the stokes as you proceed. This was a trail run. Here are the daisies after 31 brushstrokes and before I went back in to "fix" it. It was kind of nice really and almost finished. 

So I tried again and did this painting to submit to the challenge.


This time however...though I was sorely tested..... I did not go back into it. It was so hard to just leave it alone! This is a very good exercise for me and I plan on continuing it through the week. The fact that I won't be able to "finish" anything will bother me a lot but I really need to learn to well enough alone.
So far this month,  I have switched to painting almost exclusively with big brushes (1-1/2" - 2"). I have reduced my palette down to 7-8 colors and now I am trying to reducing my brushstrokes to 50 or less. I seem to spend very little time actually applying the brush to canvas compared to the time I spend with the set up, just looking and looking and mixing the hues.


  1. I like all 3!
    the apple one has a lot of charms in its simplicity. I particularly like your painting of the pear...
    The top one needed its fixings.

    and cool signature!


  2. beautiful, the handling of the color in the shadows on the flowers de-lights me.

  3. I found this challenge very hard. I admire your determination to keep trying and experimenting. All three are wonderful...I especially like the simplicity of the middle flower painting. Well done!

  4. I love the reduced brush paintings..I also like the stroke information on the bottom two..somehow feels like its a bit that should stay.