Monday, November 28, 2011

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

# 89: Grape Bouquet

6" x 8" oil on canvas


I had fun with the colors on this one. However the composition makes me tired. It seems to be a long way down to that grape on the ground and now that I see it on the screen I can understand why. There is an interruption of visual flow in the shadow. So now I have a dilemma. It would be an easy fix, but do I go back and fix it or do I leave it as is?

Monday, November 21, 2011

# 88: Languish

8" x 11" oil on canvas

instead of focusing on the portrait, i decided on painting the full figure.  The figure seems ready to slide right out of the frame...thus the title

Sunday, November 20, 2011

# 87: My Old Black Shoes

6" x 6" oil on canvas


painting your shoes is a lot like painting a self portrait. It is sort of personal. It was fun working in the shadows and the pattern of the fabric.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

# 86: Grape Cascade

6" x 6" oil on canvas


I wanted to work with cool hues for a change. It is funny how some days the paint just seems to fall off the brush and some days the paint feels like glue. There is a couple of wipe out behind this painting and I still couldn't get in the flow of it...I did enjoy working with the greens and the contrast though.

Friday, November 18, 2011

# 85: Tomato with Tea

5" x  6" oil on canvas


I decided to give myself a white on white challenge with the tomato as an accent. it very difficult painting reflective white surfaces and I didn't quite capture the form in the tea pot. I am tempted to go back into because it is a cloudy day and photograph will not be possible I decided to hold off on from "fixing" it until the sun shines again.
I was also interested in linking shapes with value more in this composition and to provide the eye a few diagonals to travel on...I don't think that I managed it though. The original looked a bit jumbled.

 and so gave it the good ol crop fix

Thursday, November 17, 2011

# 84: Tomato Juice

6" x 6" oil on canvas
My effort from last night.  I am not sure about the background....I ended up reworking it without the visual reference.

Monday, November 14, 2011

# 83: Three to One

6" x 6" oil on canvas


I was very limited on time with this one...sometimes that helps keep me form over working the painting, but this time I spent too much time spinning my wheels trying to get the values on the tomatoes. I do find the reds of tomatoes very difficult for some reason. I find stems difficult as well and so I will just have to try again. 

Saturday, November 12, 2011

# 81: Orange Skaters

6" x 6" oil on canvas
Getting the paintings done in time to photograph before the sun goes down is a challenge these short days...and besides it was raining today. So I took the photo under artificial light, which is not ideal. I will take another photo tomorrow as long as the sun is shining. I think that this will be the last of the tangerine and glass theme. It is time to work with a different palette. The poor little wedges really got backed under the Lowell light. I am really loving the intense light though. It is helping me push my contrast.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Thursday, November 10, 2011

# 79: Orange Recluse

6" x 6" oil on canvas


I have been away from the paints for a week due to my catching some nasty cold. Though I felt a little guilty for not getting busy sooner, I think that I really needed the break. I felt very relaxed while painting today which resulted in a fresh painting that did not get overworked.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

# 78: Two in a Bowl

6" x 6" oil on canvas

This is last nights effort. Wednesday nights I am tired and usually just start a painting to finished in the morning. However, that has not been turning out  because the next day I end up totally over working the painting. So this time i decided to work with the time and energy I had and call it finished even though it could use some "fixing" .

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

# 77: Four Lilies

6" x 6" oil on canvas

This another response to the DPW challenge. Each lily section was painted in 10 minutes. Lilies are harder to paint then skulls, due to their translucency.